Sunday, March 2, 2014

What is Love? It's a documentary about the Panama Canal

Several years ago my wife Megan stopped by the thrift store during her day of errands to see if anyone had discarded any treasures. We haven't made a habit of going to the thrift store, but over the years we have found several good books, two nativity sets, and a few other treasures that simply needed a good shine. As I recall, Megan had gone down the video aisle to see if any good movies were available for purchase. Barney Camp Wannarunnaround... no. Kathy Lee Feel Fit and Fabulous... no. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan... no. One movie did stand out to her, however. Not because she wanted it, but because she could not fathom who on earth would ever purchase "A Man, A Plan, A Canal."


She left the store disappointed and bewildered:

"For real, who would ever buy a documentary about the Panama Canal?!"

Fast forward several years ago minus one day. I didn't realize Megan had come up empty handed the previous day. I also stopped by the thrift store on my lunch break to peruse the aisles of less than desirable things people no longer found useful. I had never stopped at the thrift stores on a lunch break, but it was a good release for me on that day. I too made my way down the video aisle. Maybe there was something fun for a Friday night with family and popcorn. Rock and Bop with the Doodlebops... no. Pilates with Suzanne Somers... no. Jane Austen's Mansfield Park... maybe. One movie did stand out to me, however. Not because I not only wanted it, but because I could not fathom who on earth would ever NOT purchase "A Man, A Plan, A Canal."

I left the store satisfied and bewildered:

"For real, who would ever pass by a documentary about the Panama Canal?!"

I knew my Friday night was going to be great.

I went home that evening and very excitedly showed my find to my wife. As I recall, she laughed for about an hour and a half and did not have any more tears when she finally calmed down. She told me she was there the previous day and did not know ANYONE who would buy such a thing.

We watched a chick flick Friday night.

To this day we laugh about how opposites attract and how much we appreciate our similarities and differences.

Happy marriages are filled with stories and inside jokes, laughs and the occasional cry, challenges and triumphs. Really, every happy marriage is a documentary, which may or may not include the Panama Canal.

What is Love? It's a documentary about the Panama Canal.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a nerd dear and I love you for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NERD: Not Even Remotely Dorky.
      NERD: Never Ending Radical Dude.
      :-)

      Delete