Monday, March 24, 2014

What is Love? It's waiting 10 years to see Mickey

10 years ago we made a commitment to some friends in college. That commitment involved a Disney trip with our future kids. That time has come and I can say that I am very excited for the opportunity to take my kids to Disneyland.

Some of my greatest memories as a child were the two times my parents took my brother and I to Disneyland. I hope to make similar memories with my children in the coming days.

And although I think these memory making opportunities are a sign of familial love, this post is about the love shown in waiting 10 years to go  on such an extravagant trip.

You see, this trip is completely paid for. I don't take any of the credit for that. My wife, who I affectionately refer to as "Megan the Miser," has budgeted everything out and all expenses have been paid!

Early in our marriage we decided that we would work towards always being debt free. With that commitment came the interest in finding budgeting techniques that would work for our family. We stumbled upon Dave Ramsey's 7 baby steps approach. They are:

1. $1,000 emergency fund.
2. Pay of all consumer/credit card debt.
3. 6 month emergency fund.
4. 12-15% in retirement fund.
5. Kids' College fund.
6. Pay off mortgage on house early.
7. Build wealth and give lots away!

Now, I won't disclose where Megan and I are at in the process, but I will say that we have taken several "baby steps" to our complete financial freedom!

It is a joy to be taking our 5 kids on this expensive trip. (Thanks Dad and Mom for making a similar commitment years ago.) But what is more joyous is to be doing it on a budget and to have the trip completely paid off! - Thanks Megs! Disneyland or Bust!

What is Love? It's waiting 10 years to see Mickey.

No comments:

Post a Comment