Sunday, March 9, 2014

What is Love? It's a delivery from the cheeseburger fairy

A week ago my wife Megan and I were on a date. Okay, we were running errands that we like to call a "date." (You take what you can get when you have five kids from 10 down to 1 year old.)

Anyway, we were on a "date."

Let me give you some context to the discussion that I will lay before you. To save money each month we take our household waste to the dump. We average two trips a month. Believe it or not we save over $300.00 each year. Each trip costs me an average of $2.00. I usually pay with a five dollar bill and then deposit the remaining ones in the ashtray of the Suburban to use for the next dump run.

This is where we get back to our errands-date mentioned previously. So we begin talking about our kids and how Megan was able to get Jacob a cheeseburger one day for some good deed he had done that week. I happened to have the ashtray open to look for a loose bill and noticed the bills deposited previously from my dump run were gone. I put two and two together and realized Jacob's burger came from the dump money. I looked at my wife and she said she got the money from the "cheeseburger fairy."

I cracked a big smile.

Truth be told, for several years I have been depositing the leftover dump money in the ashtray and every so often Megan would find that the cheeseburger fairy had left her some cheeseburger money in her car.

For a couple of years now, the "cheeseburger fairy" has been an unspoken gesture of endearment between Megan and I. She does so much for our family, managing our home, and now even occupies a part-time job of her own that she enjoys. I am grateful to call her my wife and I am grateful she calls me the cheeseburger fairy.

A happy marriage is one where you find little and simple things to do for your significant other.

What is Love? It's a delivery from the cheeseburger fairy.

2 comments:

  1. I love you cheeseburger fairy, maybe once our kids are grown and gone you can morph into the steak fairy ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may have more money by then... emphasis on the word "may."

      Delete