Monday, February 24, 2014

What is Love? It's a plastic fork and some humble pie

Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary! I am excited to share the day with my wonderful bride. Megan has been great for me in so many ways not the least of which is reminding me that I am not perfect... yet.

Several posts ago I mentioned that my dad shared two pieces of poignant advice for me in my courtship with Megan prior to us getting married. The first, as discussed in that post, had to do with toothbrushes and toothpaste. It was a direct appeal to pay attention to the little things.

The second piece of advice I reveal at this time with much trepidation. Why not on the eve of our special day.

So I am not perfect right?! I know it is hard to believe but it is the truth. So let me describe for you the process by which I ate my first piece of humble pie with a plastic fork. I had never eaten humble pie before and for those of you who have not had the privilege... it is an acquired taste.

While dating, Megan and I had our first official spat. I do remember the details, but I will spare you. In any event, I went to my dad for advice and consolation as I knew I was right and needed help on getting Megan to understand that she was wrong. I remember it like it was yesterday. Dad and I were in the kitchen, I on the bar stool and Dad leaning over the kitchen island counter listening intently. After I had made the best case any lawyer as ever made before the U.S. Supreme Court my Dad went to the kitchen drawer, pulled out a plastic fork and without saying a word handed it to me.

"A plastic fork?"

"Looks like you need to eat some humble pie."

That was it.

I learned that day perhaps the wisest council a father has ever given to his son. That day was the first day of many days where I learned that I have not yet arrived and haven't yet been able to throw away that plastic fork.

Megan, here's to 12 years and 12 more. Thank you for your patience.

What is Love? It's a plastic fork and some humble pie.

2 comments:

  1. It takes a big man to eat humble pie. I'm sorry I'm right so often, causing you to eat so much of it!! Hahahahaha. Thank you for your patience with me and your love for me. This has been the best 12 years of my life, I look forward to eternity with hope and joy!! Happy Anniversary, I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Jerrod and Megan !!! I love you both very much

    ReplyDelete