Monday, May 26, 2014

What is Love? You can find it at the Tomb of the Unknowns

Years ago I had the opportunity, no, the privilege of visiting Arlington National Cemetery in Washington D.C. Arlington sits on a bluff south of D.C. looking at the Potomac River. It is a beautiful and holy place. I was there on a Sunday and could not think of a better way to keep the Sabbath day holy. I was there for 5 hours.

Of the many monuments, memorials, and tributes one can find in Arlington, one thing stands out beyond all others: The Tomb of the Unknowns.

The Tomb of the Unknowns or Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as it is often called, is a monument dedicated to American service members who have died without their remains being identified. These military service members paid the ultimate price for our country and we do not know who they are. The most sacred of thank yous to these unknown soldiers is a series of guards that watch over the tomb 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. When I was there years ago, I could not help but stand and raise my hand to my heart as I watched these guards pace back and forth ever vigilant of the tomb. I was mesmerized  as I witnessed the changing of the guard and the care those guards took to show the most respect I have ever seen anyone give anything.

Inscribed on the tomb is the following: "Here Rests in Honored Glory, an American Soldier Known But to God."

On this Memorial Day, my heart goes out to the men and women that have given everything to their country. My heart goes out to the families of those that have given everything. You are remembered. You are cherished treasures of this thankful country.

What is Love? You can find it at the Tomb of the Unknowns.





No comments:

Post a Comment