Sunday, January 26, 2014

What is Love? It's going where no one else is willing to go

I love this photo of a mountain goat literally in a cliff. How could he have gotten there in the first place? Absolutely amazing. And what did he go to that spot for? Was it for a trickle of water or the best salt rock on the hillside? Was it a dare by his mountain goat buddies? Was it to impress the she-goats in the area?

Regardless of this mountain goat's motive, one thing is for sure, he likely went where no one else was willing to go.

Marriage is a lot like this experienced mountain goat in a cliff. All around we see society balking at the need or even a desire to enter into a monogamous relationship that leads to marriage and unselfish devotion to another human being. More and more people are less and less inclined to enter into a marital relationship and stick to it for a lifetime.


Here's where we get back to the photo. This mountain goat committed himself to go where no one else was willing to go. Marriage is the same. It takes guts and hard work to make and keep your commitment to your spouse. It also takes a willingness and commitment to do things for your spouse that you would otherwise choose not to do. Can I give an example? Sure.

Years ago my wife and I "decided" that I would be the bathroom cleaner. Each week my job is to get down on my hands and knees and clean the... well... you know. I have tried to do it every week for 12 years. I must admit I have missed a few weeks during those 12 years, but not many. I thought since we now have five kids I would be able to initiate executive privilege and delegate the chore to some unsuspecting kid. However, all those years of experience has made me a master toilet cleaner! The chore chart list moves every week but my name always stays on the bathroom. Guess what... I don't mind one bit. I am the mountain goat in the cliff going where no one else is willing to go. And guess what Gents, it makes my wife happy!

In marriage we need to find those things our spouse doesn't enjoy doing, the things that need to get done, but that they loathe in doing. We need to identify those things and take control. For my wife, getting the toilet cleaned each week by her husband does it for her. For other couples, its something else. The point is we need to take the time to figure it out and then do it. Happiness in married life is often predicated on those small and simple things. A toilet is easy relatively speaking and it pays huge dividends.

If you don't know what that one thing is, start with the toilet each week and go from there.

What is Love? It's going where no one else is willing to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment